From oct 2010 my educational posts are published only on Pip

25 apr. 2010

A general model for a fun game?


On the cross road of my thoughts of what is fun and the community gaming loop I’ve worked on before, I set up this general model of what actually makes maybe any game fun. To get started in a game I need to get challenged – either by a mission or through inspiration - to win, to collect, to complete, to fulfill or maybe to just understand something. The challenge can be anything from learning to read to find all objects in a series to get as many friends as possible.
Then I need tools to do some action – to improve, and to make the action meaningful, I need some kind of response. The result can either end the game, or be a trigger to try again. Now I’m wondering if there are other sorts of games, triggers or applicable models? Is there any complete other way to look at the gaming activity?

1 kommentar:

  1. The problem with any model in any domain is this, that pertained to formal mathematical systems, so it can only get messier when you're talking about the collective cognitive patterns of millions of people.

    Instead of asking "what's missing in my model" you should be asking "what other models will provide a lense where this model has its inevitable blind spot?"

    Consider that this model synchs in well with established business models and optimization loops for ARPU, K-factor ect. and that these metrics might be inadequete in the next market regime when player's brains adapt and want something else.

    I recommend you hire and/or listen to the professional game designers you have on staff, executive models can be more liability than they're worth if you don't temper your metric optimization with experimental design methodology and a talented intuition.

    SvaraRadera